Independent Trustee recruitment
NEWSAR is a charity, whose overall strategic direction and financial management is led by an executive group of eight Trustees comprising: the Chair; Secretary; Team Leader; Treasurer; Fund Raising Officer and three independents. Further members may be co-opted to the Executive, but they do not have voting rights.
The Executive Team meets every two months – meetings currently take place at the Team’s base in Loggerheads, Mold.
We are hoping to identify new, dynamic individuals to act as Independent Trustees. Trustees are subject to confirmation by election of the full team membership. NEWSAR has an excellent reputation in both the search and rescue community, and within the North Wales community. We have ambitious plans for the future and are particularly interested in talking to individuals with experience in business; fundraising and marketing, or from a legal or human resources background.
Full guidance on Trustee’s duties from the Charity Commission can be found here.
- Ensure the team complies with charity law and the requirements of the charity commission as regulator
- Demonstrate a passion for the work of the team and its contribution to the community
- Contribute to future planning, to ensure the on-going success and sustainability of the team
- Be able to listen, remain open minded and absorb information effectively
- Provide specialist guidance according to personal skills (for instance financial, HR or marketing advice)
- Help develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders including potential funders and high profile supporters
- Help develop appropriate policies and procedures to improve the management of the team
- Act to build and protect the reputation of the team at all times
- Attend team events and act as a champion for team members
- Attend regular Executive Team meetings (usually held every two months, on a Wednesday evening) at the team’s base or other appropriate location
This voluntary position is expected to require a minimum of two days’ work per month including occasional weekends.
Essential Key Competencies:
- Significant experience of working in business, public service or the community
- Excellent administration and planning skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to form effective, positive working relationships
- An understanding of the demands placed on team members
- Ability to demonstrate the insight and creativity to contribute new ideas
- Ability to act as a motivator and champion to the team
Preferable Key Competencies:
- Knowledge of Search and Rescue, or the emergency services
- Previous experience of working with a charity
- Welsh language speaker
Please note that under the Charities Act 1993, you may not become a Trustee if you have been convicted of any offence involving dishonesty or deception; have been adjudged bankrupt or have previously been removed from the office of a charity trustee.
Applications to become an Independent Trustee should be made in writing. Your application should be in the form of a general letter explaining how you meet the requirements and what you believe you will deliver to NEWSAR. You may include a general CV of experience if you believe this would be useful.
Applications should be sent to
PO Box 37
You may email your application and cover letter to email@example.com
If you have any queries before applying please make contact through this page.